Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Look!

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a UFO!


Poor Mr. Square. Begun when? last winter? Dunno, but he's lived in my yarn closet for a good long while. And all because of my aversion to dpns. I whipped up his body, stalled on his arms and legs (eek! the dpns!), and then, fickle Jezebel that I am, moved my affections elsewhere.

But he's haunted me. Every time I open the yarn closet door, I hear his voice saying, Hey, Ms. Love 'Em and Leave 'Em, remember me? Why should I have to suffer because of your avoidance issues? When are you gonna suck it up and commit? Usually I just act like the cool kid in high school and ignore him, because I really am all thumbs when it comes to dpns. I never know how to hold them, and they're always falling out and rolling under the couch. And then there's that whole laddering issue, which makes me death grip half the stitches. Using them is like when I flunked football in eighth grade gym class; it's probably hilarious to watch, but absolutely mortifying when you're the gal who has no idea what a tight end does.

A couple of weeks ago I was rooting around in the stash for the yarn I'm using for my Flower Basket shawl. And, sure enough, once again Mr. Square started in with the psychobabble. But this time I surprised both of us when I conceded he has a point. He's this close to being finished. And he's cute - in a bad boy kinda way - with those black and white stripes. Maybe it was time to move our relationship to the next level.

So, I bought these nifty wee 5" needles (each appendage is only 14 stitches around), and pulled Mr. Square out of the closet. Cue the Barry White, because tonight's the night we're dpn-ing. Will love triumph over my fears and wayward ways? Or will there be tears and recriminations and drunken singing along with Patsy Cline? Stay tuned to find out....

7 comments:

mary said...

I know you can do it with the dpns! You were zipping along righteously with them today on you wristwarmers.

BrownPants said...

Ha! More suspense than an episede of Home and Away.
Just in case you don't know what that is it's an Aussie soap. Been running for like 20 years...or something.

Anonymous said...

What a really fun and enjoyable entry! Now, how cool is that? These are the perfect needles, and I just know that you CAN do it with these! And you just *have* to because Mr. Square already looks so great, what an amazing colour - he just begs to be finished, that's for sure! Good luck with these cool needles!

CatBookMom said...

You go, girl, with those dpns! I have complete confidence that you'll conquer the challenge.

I'm currently wrestling with 64 stitches on 5in Bryspuns, and the d*^^ed yarn keeps slithering off! Decrease rows cannot come fast enough.

Hmm. Verification word is 'fohtous' - reminds me of something???

mehitabel said...

Go, Madge, go!! You can do it! I saw you manipulating those dpns today, and you are totally awesome with them! Next time I see you, I hope you'll have a happy Mr. Square with you. Or at least some appendages on dpns!!

Lady Misty Morn said...

You can do it, I have faith. He'll be done in no time.

Anonymous said...

You can do it!! Don't let him win!
DPNS get easier to hold as you work with them. Just don't try to work with them on a bus until you feel more confident with them.
You'll do great, and I can't wait to see Mr. Bad Boy when he's done!