Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Birthday and a Berroco Pattern Book That Isn't Blindingly Bad

Tom was being exceedingly curmudgeonly about his birthday this year. So, we - as in the royal we, meaning me - decided a Sunday day trip to Ventura was just the thing to cheer him up. It's close (in SoCal terms), has a cute downtown, a Mission, nearby beaches, and his favorite Mustang parts store, National Parts Depot.

It also has a yarn store, but I swear this didn't factor into my selfless role as birthday gloominess dispenser.

Well, not at first, anyway. Then I discovered that it was practically next to his car parts store. So, I waited until he suggested that he drop me off there while he went and talked classic cars and bought a new Mustang exhaust system...and then I demurely agreed that it might be fun to check out Anacapa Fine Yarns. Which he did, and I did, and fun was had by all.

Lois - here she is! - has a cozy store full of beautiful yarns, an amazing selection of needles and friendly customers.

Even though I've shot my yarn budget for the year, and have given myself an ultimatum about buying more, I found some lovelies that just had to come home with me. Obviously I need to work on my self-control issues, but in the meantime I have more green yarn!

Colinette Jitterbug in Velvet Leaf

O-Wool Balance in Malachite

I also picked up a Knitting Pure & Simple pattern (#221 Neckdown Summer Cardigan - I've never knit a sweater top down, and figure I should try it sooner than later) and some Bryspun needles (some 5" dpns for socks and 29" circs in US 3 and 4 for the huge amount of lace knitting I'm doing this summer).

Then we were off to downtown Ventura for an early dinner of yummy Indian - it's been ages since we've had some chicken tikka masala - and a leisurely drive home the "back way" on highway 126.

Yesterday our celebration proper included margaritas and a present or two, and Tom is another year older and happily contemplating ripping apart his car engine this weekend. Thanks for all the well wishes!

Non sequitur: Just stumbled on the Berroco preview of Norah Gaughan Collection Vol. 1. Dig it!




14 comments:

CatBookMom said...

Wish Tom lots and lots of (slightly late) birthday good wishes for us. Nice LYS coup there, and yes, that was a good amount of self-control, lol!

jillian said...

Lovely new yarn goodness! Fun for all - what a nice birthday day.

And holey moley - Norah has done the impossible, creating Berroco patterns with actual taste, although somehow some designs are still slightly bizarre and not in a good way. I note that this "booklet" is more than twice the usual cost and is really a full-fledged magazine. Which is fine! I think misleading to call it a booklet, compared to the usual 3-5 patterns for $7 delio they've traditionally had.

LotusKnits said...

Yummy stash enhancement!

And I love your alliteration. Hehe.

Liz K. said...

I love love love knitting patterns from the top down. It totally idiot-proofs the whole fit-thing, which, for idiots like me, is a good thing!

Ellen Bloom said...

Remember what I said? It's not a stash, it's a COLLECTION. You are similar to a collector of rare antiques...only, you collect fine yarn. Love the greens!

Top-Down is my new religion. I am incredibly difficult to fit. Top-down is the best way to knit to fit. Enjoy it. I'll answer any questions you may have, but you'll see how simple knitting this way really is. Enjoy!

Carson said...

Ventura looks quintessentially SoCal.
Hey thanks for the Gaughan tip-off!
Those accessories are pretty cool...think I'm going to have to order the book right now despite a 'to do' list that will see me up til xmas.
Maybe we should start a 'self control issues' support group! ;)

mary said...

Glad Tom Slick and you had a great day discovering Ventura and hope his bday was all that and more. Sounds like I need to check out Anacapa yarns now. And the top down cardi? I'm a big fan; they're perfect for seam-tards like me. Hopefully Ber-No-no has turned over a new leaf!

mehitabel said...

Looks like another trip to Ventura is in my future--it's certainly closer than SLO and has a lot of the same features. Guess we've been "ladies on a mission" lately, huh? Your new yarns are yummy and I love that grey! (Yeah, I'm about grey the way you are about green.) Glad Himself wound up with a good birthday after all!

RoxyK said...

Glad Tom had a nice birthday AND you managed to get some more yarn :)

Of course, all trips must contain a yarn store element if possible. Isn't it the law?

Anonymous said...

Isn't that Norah Gaughan booklet wonderful? Glad you both had such a great birthday! ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. Nice choice of yarn to blow your budget on.....I am loving that Jitterbug colorway.

WOW, thanks for the heads up on the Norah G Berroco patterns, I am thinking both the hats would be great for some handspun.

LadyLinoleum said...

Fabulous yarn! I agree with Ellen, it's definitely all about the COLLECTION.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Ventura seems to be such a beautiful place - I'd love to visit it one day! And all the gorgeous yarn that you got there - yummy! Happy belated birthday to Tom!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday to Tom!! Sounds like an awesome day!