Thursday, June 14, 2007

Fantasy Island

Meredith is running a competition through June 17. Instructions may be found here, but in a nutshell she's asking for a description of what three yarns you would want with you on a deserted island. For this scenario, Tom and I have donned our arch-villain guises of Lord Death Maggot and Lady Doom. The year is 1962, and the location is near Dr. No's lair.

Somewhere in the Bahamas, our luxury cruiser, the Destroyer, has foundered on a picturesque beach. Palm trees sway, the surf gently caresses the sand, and crabs the color of paprika cavort in tide pools. We, however, are miffed. We were working for SMERSH on a contract basis, until James Bond came along and upset things with that Dr. No business. Now, they're cleaning that mess up and aren't returning our calls. So, a few weeks ago, we decided to go freelance. Since we were vacationing in Nassau, we thought we'd check out the islands in the area and see if anything appropriate for a nefarious base of operations caught our eye. Nothing really has, and last night we'd decided to head to Cuba for a little gambling before starting up the search again. We celebrated our decision by imbibing a few too many champagne cocktails, and set the steering on autopilot so we could leisurely sleep in. Then we crashed. Literally. Stupid autopilot.

As LDM is moving the death ray into the underground caverns we've discovered, I'm reviewing my yarn options. Hmm, what to take with me? Let's see....

1. Koigu KPM. So versatile! Lace, socks, scarves, hats, gloves - all can be made with this delicious yarn.

2. Cascade 220. So practical! Perfect for garments, blankets, toys - and for felting little vests for the monkeys we see in the palm trees.

3. Rowan Scottish Tweed DK. So tweedy! A must for cable projects.

Yes, those will do nicely. And now I must rush. LDM is calling - seems he needs help programming our rescue jet to come pick us up. Ta ta, minions!

10 comments:

mehitabel said...

Ok, that sounds like a winner to me. I'd probably take the Rowan and the Koigu, for sure, but I'd so be tempted to bring some KSH...might actually be able to finish Birch then!

Ellen Bloom said...

Calling Super Agent Devil.....you're in exotic Cuba! It's hot there. I'd switch from all that wool to some cotton, please. Your color choices are spot-on though!

Chick from A.U.N.T.I.E.

Debi said...

My list would be similar except I would sub either Calmer or All Seasons Cotton for the Yorkshire Tweed. Also Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sport might have to be my flotation device so I could take FOUR! :)

LotusKnits said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Your minions line made me giggle.

Liz K. said...

Damn you! You took my yarn!

mary said...

LOL! One question... um... is this how you two "role play?" giggle

Anonymous said...

Good deal! One can never go wrong with Koigu! Mmm...

Carson said...

All good choices
EXCEPT
ellen bloom has a point there.
woulnd't you need some cotton to knit up a quick laser gun holster / Ursula Andress style hipster belted bikini?

Perhaps not white though..not good when wet.

jillian said...

I'd have a hard time picking 3 yarns. But I think I want to be on your island!

Anonymous said...

You crack me up!! I totally agree with the cascade and koigu. I've never checked out the Rowan tweed, but now you got me thinking I need some. If it's good enough for Lord Death Maggot and Lady Doom, then it is good enough for me!