Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hot Socklet

Pattern: Generic cuff down socks
Yarn: Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Superwash in color 02 - 1 and a smidge skeins
Needles: Bryspun US 4 5" dpns
Rating: 10 little piggies

It's been a long time coming, me knitting my first pair of socks. Since last summer, actually. But now, now I'm the proud mama of socklets, and I'm feeling downright giddy.

A great big round of applause goes to Barbara, who guided me through the process with aplomb and humor. We've been meeting regularly over the last few months for Sock 101 classes, and yesterday we finished up with toe decreases and grafting. Hey, grafting is pretty cool.

So is this scrumptious Artfibers Galicia Barbara gifted to me.

Is this my color or what? Yowza. But before I run off on a tangent extolling silk, Artfibers, and asking for opinions on what lace scarf pattern I should use with it, back to the socklets.

I'm exceedingly happy I finally figured out how sock construction works. And that these fit, even though they were meant to be for a child. Heh. Obviously I'm still iffy on the math, so thank goodness for Sensational Knitted Socks; I'll be making my next pair - another generic cuff down stockinette pair out of Artyarns Ultramerino 8 in color 127 (a birthday present from Mary - man, I'm blessed with great friends) - using this dandy reference.

And, to keep the momentum going, I'm taking Cookie A.'s toe up class with Ellen and Barbara at Unwind in a few weeks, too.

Fiend update: This morning was B.I.G. Big as in Fiend went to the vet big. He's so freaky skittish that we've been putting it off until we could at least pet him without him spazzing. Then, two days ago, he sported a bite on his ear and forehead that turned nasty yesterday, so in he went today. And guess what? He went into the carrier without a problem. Yep, Tom was able to pick him up and put him in the carrier without biting, scratching, hissing, yowling or twisting. I just stood there, holding the backup bribe can of tuna fish, in disbelief. Cats are so fickle. We're still waiting on some test results, but have learned he's around 12 (! we thought he was a year old - so much for our age telling ability), has been neutered, and came back negative for kitty aids and leukemia. He was well behaved at the vet, and was mellow when Tom brought him home. B.I.G. Next up, he and Maggie get to make nice.

19 comments:

mj said...

Congrats on the socks! Aren't they fun? After my first pair (from a pattern on the Lions Brand label), I quickly made another pair...and then another! I've been doing other things lately, but I do love them socks.
And congrats on the Fiend. Bella is warming up a little day by day, so I know how excited you must be.

Anonymous said...

Go you! Congrats on your first pair of socks! Beware of the addiction that is sure to follow!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of your mad grafting skillz!

Sounds like Fiend's making himself some new family. 12, huh? Who'd have known to look at him?

Will we be seeing your Sunday?

Ellen Bloom said...

I'm very excited about Cookie A's sock class at Unwind. I've made ankle-down socks, but I usually get bored after finishing just one sock! Argh...single sock syndrome.

Your Nashua socks look comfy!

Octopus Knits said...

Nice socks! I think grafting is pretty cool, too. I LOVE those yarns, and I'm so glad Fiend went willingly to the vet (and that he's negative for the major scary diseases).

mehitabel said...

Wonderful news about Fiend! He's such a lovely cat, and it's nice to know he's "experienced" in the ways of the world--as well as cat carriers! Sounds like he's getting set to be another member of the family--great news!
Oh yeah, good on you for the socklets, too. How nice to have that feeling of accomplishment! And some lovely future sock-kins, too!

Anonymous said...

WOOT! First socks just rock, man! Congrats on the fine job. They look fantastic! And I'm so incredibly relieved and happy that Fiend is doing so well. I can't wait to hear how things are going with the two cats. Also? That's some damn fine yarn pr0n you have there. *drooooooolicious*

mary said...

A BIG congrats on finishing the luckies! More sock love to you. Is Fiend a girl? Maybe she's just happy to be Tom's girl, after you and Maggie of course.

Debi said...

Congrats on losing your sock virginity! :)

Thank goodness you found Fiend, I can't imaging it would bode well for a 12 year old cat "on the streets"!

Anonymous said...

Awww, these are cute socklets - congrats on knitting them up, they look awesome! And well, what can I say? You're one big step closer to becoming a huge sock-knitting-addict! Beware! ;)

Liz K. said...

Wow! To go from being a sock-virgin to learning at the feet of the Mistress of Socks herself, Cookie A? You must be a prodigy.

But let me just say that if for your second pair of socks you make one of her frightfully beautifully complicated knee socks, I will throw up.

jillian said...

Congrats on your first socks!! I agree with Nonnahs - addiction is right around the corner.

Sounds like Fiend knows a good thing when he sees it! So glad he doesn't have any nasty kitty viruses - pretty amazing at 12 depending on how long he was out for.

Curly Cable said...

Lovely socks, well done on your first pair! They are gorgeous and such lovely grafting too! A lovely picture of Fiend, glad to hear he got a clean bill of health from the vets, wouldn't believe he was around 12, I'm sure given the patience and kindness you've given him, he'll make a terrfic pet and ideal friend to Maggie! "fingers crossed"

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!!!! Your socks look awesome! What a wonderful addition to your knitting repertoire. WARNING! sock yarn collecting is addictive and hazardous to your budget. I am so jealous about the Cookie A workshop. I really, really wanted to come down for that, but have to work all those days....RATS!

I'm glad to hear Fiend is mellowing some. I can't believe he is 12 yrs old! Cats hold their age so well.

CatBookMom said...

Great fit on those socks, m'dear! Yeah, we *said* we were gonna knit kids' socks, but hey, it's just 'a few more knits in the row' to get to big-girl sockies. You are a fab sock student, and you got the Kitchener thing so fast it made my head spin!

And it's great news about Fiend; he's healthy and has a fine home with you, DH and the moggies.

MsFortuknit said...

I love that Heel! Well Done! And that yarn, Zowie! Thanks for the sweet words! Tear it up!

Annette said...

Congrats on your first pair of socks! I hope I won't be too far behind. Wish I was taking the same Cookie class as you. We can compare notes.

Fiend has chosen a great home to spend his retirement. 12? He looks so young and dapper for his age!

RoxyK said...

Congratulations on your first socks! May there be many more ;)

Isn't it great about Fiend. Cats can be such surprising creatures.

BrownPants said...

YEEEEE HAAAAA! Your first socks! Go you!